Continuing with my kitchen play with wheat and sugar, probably the last for a while, I made a Summer Fruit Cake with peaches and blueberries. Wish I had taken a 'before' picture of it - it looked like sooo much fruit. But by the time it baked up, the fruit got eaten up by the dough. It's in there - really it is. So next time - even more fruit! This recipe can use any fruit - even winter fruit like Apples! But with summer fruit at it's best, it's fun to find different ways to use it in baking.
I made this using a tart pan, even though it's a cake. A big tart pan (11"). So it came out kind of short (low??). Still tasted great though. I would definitely recommend using a 10" tart pan, or a 9 or 10" springform pan.
The other great thing about this recipe is it's really quick and easy to make. Go for it! Oh... and later this week, I'm going to make almost the same thing, but wheat-free and low sugar. Honestly!
Summer Fruit Cake (from thathomesite.com)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- pinch of salt
- Summer fruit (I used 7 medium peaches and a bunch of blueberries
- Optional: a light sprinkle of cinammon-sugar for the top
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray the bottom of your baking pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar. Beat well.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt
- Add flour to batter and mix.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, and spread to cover the entire bottom using a knife or spatula.
- Arrange the fruit on the top of the batter.
- Optionally sprinkle lightly with sugar-cinnamon mix.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes.
Allow to cool before cutting. Eat warm or at room temperature.