I really like getting my nutrition from food as much as possible (although I do take supplements as well). I eat so many protein-rich foods, I've never bothered with protein powder in my smoothies. Just protein food, and other nutrient-rich foods. Worse thing in this smoothie? Honey.
So these days my go-to breakfast is a thick, chocolatey protein smoothie. Almost every morning. Fills me up and holds me until lunchtime (probably because I drink about almost 30 oz - yes, you read that right).
You will want to adjust this recipe to your own taste. Here's what I do (more or less):
Chocolate Protein Smoothie
- 3/4 - 1 cup low-fat milk
- 3 - 4 oz low-fat plain greek yogurt (greek yogurt is much higher in protein than regular yogurt)
- 1 banana (I use them just barely ripe, before they develop all that sugar)
- 1 - 2 Tbs organic peanut butter or almond butter (don't like nut butters? No worries. Use 1 Tbs and you won't taste it).
- a handful of organic blueberries or strawberries
- a handful of organic baby spinach (can't taste it)
- 1 - 2 Tbs organic chia seeds and/or ground flax seed
- 1 rounded Tbs unsweetened cocoa
- 1-2 tsp organic honey
- 5 ice cubes
Tastes like a chocolate smoothie. I think this makes about 32 oz. Probably plenty for two people. Unless you're me.