9.21.2013

Breakfast Chocolate Protein Smoothie (minus the powder)

I really like getting my nutrition from food as much as possible (although I do take supplements as well).  I eat so many protein-rich foods, I've never bothered with protein powder in my smoothies.  Just protein food, and other nutrient-rich foods.  Worse thing in this smoothie?  Honey.  



So these days my go-to breakfast is a thick, chocolatey protein smoothie.  Almost every morning.  Fills me up and holds me until lunchtime (probably because I drink about almost 30 oz - yes, you read that right).


You will want to adjust this recipe to your own taste.  Here's what I do (more or less):

Chocolate Protein Smoothie

  • 3/4 - 1 cup low-fat milk
  • 3 - 4 oz low-fat plain greek yogurt (greek yogurt is much higher in protein than regular yogurt)
  • 1 banana (I use them just barely ripe, before they develop all that sugar)
  • 1 - 2 Tbs organic peanut butter or almond butter (don't like nut butters?  No worries. Use 1 Tbs and you won't taste it).
  • a handful of organic blueberries or strawberries
  • a handful of organic baby spinach (can't taste it)
  • 1 - 2 Tbs organic chia seeds and/or ground flax seed
  • 1 rounded Tbs unsweetened cocoa
  • 1-2 tsp organic honey
  • 5 ice cubes
Add the milk to your blender.  Then add everything else.  Blend until ...well.... blended (30 seconds if you're lucky enough to have a Vitamix).

Tastes like a chocolate smoothie.  I think this makes about 32 oz.  Probably plenty for two people.  Unless you're me.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good. What kind of protein powder do you use...brand, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No protein powder! All of the protein comes from food. :-)

    ReplyDelete