6.27.2011

Gluten-free Bakewell Tart (aka Almond Tart)

You may be asking, 'What is a Bakewell tart'? I know I was. But I just knew when I came across this recipe on cakes'n'bakes I had to try it. Immediately. So I did.



According to Wikipedia, "The Bakewell Tart, not to be confused with the Bakewell Pudding, is a shortcrust pastry with a layer of jam and a sponge filling with almonds." It may or may not have originated in Bakewell, England. Wikipedia wasn't clear about that. Do I care? Nope.

This tart is quite delicious. In particular, the crust is wonderful to handle considering it is gluten-free. I suspect I will be using the crust for many different tarts this summer (I don't even know where to begin!).



I rarely make a recipe exactly as written, but I did this time, and I wasn't disappointed. However I will try a few changes next time: I think I will prebake the crust for 5 or 10 minutes before filling it. Just to give it a bit more color. I might add a bit more almond extract to the filling for a more intense almond flavor. And finally, I will try replacing the sugar in the filling with a combination of Splenda and Erythritol. I suspect it will work.

Oh.. and I didn't have a 10" tart pan - mine is 9.5" so I ended up with extra filling and dough. What to do, what to do, what to do...??? Easy!
Got out my mini muffin tin and ta da! (three of the five left, after I devoured two :-)



Happy baking!

Gluten-free Bakewell Tart (from Bakes 'n' Cakes)
(Makes 1- 9 1/2" or 10" tart)

Ingredients:
Tart Pastry

  • 1 2/3 cups Gluten-free flour (recommended 1 cup Brown Rice flour, 2/3 cup Potato Starch, 1/3 cup Tapioca Flour)
  • 1 tsp Xanthan Gum
  • 2 Tbs Sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup butter, Cold
  • 2 Egg Yolks
  • 1/2 tsp Almond Extract
  • 1 - 2 Tbs Cold Water

Almond Filling (Frangipane)
  • 9 Tbs Butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup Sugar
  • 3 Eggs
  • 1/2 tsp Almond Extract
  • 1 1/4 cups Almond Meal
  • 2 Tbs Gluten-free Flour Mix
  • 1/2 cup Jam (I used Red Raspberry)

Also, sliced almonds and powdered sugar.

Directions:
Pastry
  1. Sift together the flour, xanthan gum, sugar, and salt and add to food processor.
  2. Quickly cut the butter into small pieces and process with flour until blend is small and crumbly.
  3. In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks and almond extract. Add to flour mixture and process for a few seconds.
  4. With processor running, slowly dribble in the cold water until the mixture comes together to form a ball.
  5. Form the dough into a disc, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
  6. After 30 minutes, remove dough and roll out on lightly floured surface (silpat mats are great for this) using a lightly floured rolling pin. Roll to about 1/4 inch thickness. The circle should be larger than the tart pan. If the dough tears while rolling, pinch it together
  7. Lightly grease and flour the tart pan.
  8. Gently loosen the dough from the surface (I used my longest offset spatula), fold in half, and lift it into the tart pan. Don't worry if it tears - it can easily be patched.
  9. Press the dough into the pan, and cut off the excess.
  10. Put the tart pan into the freezer for about 15 minutes. A good time to make the filling!


Filling
  1. Using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
  2. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. (Don't worry if the batter starts to look curdled).
  3. Gradually add the almond meal and the flour. Mix well.

To assemble:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
  2. Spread an even layer of jam over the bottom of the tart.
  3. Pour the almond batter over the jam layer, spreading and smoothing the top.
  4. Bake for approximately 30 minutes. The top may poof up and brown some.
  5. About five minutes before it's done, sprinkle with the sliced almonds and return to oven until done.

Remove from the oven, and allow to cool completely before removing it from the tart pan. Dust with powdered sugar, and have at it!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

  1. This looks wonderful! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete